On 5th May, we will be marking the 7th European Independent Living Day. This year’s theme is LIBERTY. Despite restrictions on movement, gatherings, protests and the social distancing rules, there are still many ways you can raise awareness about the right to Independent Living on the day.
- Share with us personal stories of people deprived of liberty on account of being disabled – due to COVID-19 or regardless of the current situation. If you can, please send us a photo or a video, together with a short description or a story (anonymous, if needed). We will share everything we receive during the 5th May on our Facebook page and Twitter. Please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send us a photo of what LIBERTY means to you – this could be a picture or a video of how you perceive liberty, for example by holding a sign with a message “LIBERTY is…”. We will also share these on our social media throughout the day. Please e-mail: email@example.com.
- Publish statements, messages, interviews, organise online events about the right to Independent Living … – and do not forget to post about it on social media, using the hashtags #ThisIsLiberty, #FreeOurPeople and #ILDay2020.
- Translate and publish the Press Release drafted by ENIL to mark this year’s European Independent Living Day. We will send the PR to all our members on the 4th May in the morning.
- Join the two online events organised by ENIL on the 5th May: the webinar on Disabled Refugees & Liberty, from 14:00 – 16:00 CET (register here), or the European premiere of the Wheelchair Road Movie and the Q&A session with the film maker, from 19:00 – 22:00 CET (register here).
ENIL will be online the entire day on the 5th May, running our online events and sharing the stories, photos and videos we receive from you on our social media. We will be looking out for these hashtags: #ThisIsLiberty, #FreeOurPeople and #ILDay2020.
We look forward to seeing many of you celebrating the Independent Living Day on Tuesday! Should you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.