There were many positive aspects from different regional events but we want to especially highlight the willingness between people with disabilities, especially young people for the development of independent living services within their countries.
As well as that, in the general advancement of society, we notice the empowerment of people with disabilities with Independent living, primarily with the service of personal assistance and a greater level of independence from other members of the family and society.
However, since this is just one of the initial steps in establishing independent living and promoting the philosophy of Independent Living, this is not sufficient for the full realization of independence and freedom and for the enjoyment of basic human rights. Also the fact that every country of the region characterize’s that personal assistance is not a human right of people with disabilities and that in countries with legislation on personal assistance, service is not provided by the Government but is regulated only at local level, therefore we consider that in the future the following actions are necessary:
- To increase the awareness level between people with disabilities about the importance of Independent Living and about the possibilities for implementation of independent living
- To increase the awareness level in social environment’s of people with disabilities about the possibilities for Independent Living and about the need and usefulness of independent living for people with disabilities
- To distinguish personal assistance from other means of assistance (assistant in house, assistant in work, assistant in teaching)
- The issue that was stressed many times was the need to protect the Independent Living concept and prevent its abuse and misinterpretation
- To improve the treatment toward people with intellectual disabilities and toward people with mental disabilities
- To enable representation of people with disabilities in decision making processes
- To provide sufficient financial support for organizations of people with disabilities so that they could be able to provide personal assistance services
- To work on networking of Disabled People’s Organisations in order to reach common goals and acting in area of independent living
- To establish Centres for Independent Living in all regional countries
Further to this, we should also think about how to provide opportunities for study and exchange visits between different regional countries, as meeting other people and gaining new experience’s is one of the best ways for learning, empowering and exchanging useful information.
And as soon the New Year starts we must work together on engaging a greater number of participants, users of PA services from the region at the FREEDOM DRIVE 2013 which will be held in Strasbourg from 9th till 12th September 2013.