POSTPONED: Please note that this event has been postponed, due to the speakers’ involvement in the Ukraine conflict response. We are yet to decide on a new date.
Registration: coming soon
As the biggest development and humanitarian aid donor in the world, the European Union (EU) is in a prime position to address the ongoing social exclusion and segregation of children, adults and older persons with disabilities in long-stay residential institutions. Despite the adoption and broad ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), including by the EU, persons with disabilities around the world continue experiencing institutionalisation, poverty, denial of education, exclusion from the labour market and inability to access mainstream services, among other. More transparency and better involvement of people with disabilities are key.
Purpose of the webinar:
The purpose of the webinar is to launch the report “Role of the European Union funding in supporting deinstitutionalisation around the world: A Call for Change” as well as discuss with guests on the results of the report. The aim of this report is to:
- Look at whether the EU, through its external action funding, supported the process of deinstitutionalisation during 2014 – 2020.
- Recommendations on changes which should be considered to ensure that funding provided by the EU improves opportunities for persons with disabilities of all ages to enjoy their right to live independently and to be included in the community
- Gerard Quinn, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Ines Bulic Cojocariu, Deputy Director, European Network on Independent Living (ENIL)
- Jonas Ruškus, Vice-chair of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities of the United Nations
- Nora Shabani Education Specialist/Focal Point for Children with Disabilities – UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional Office
- Jorge Manhique, Marie – Curie Research Fellow, Disability Advocacy Research in Europe (DARE)
- Gunta Anca, General Secretary European Disability Forum – EDF
- Vesna Dzuteska-Bisheva, Team Leader, Inclusive Growth – UNDP
- EU representative (TBC)
Accessibility: This event will provide international sign interpretation and real-time captioning in English.
The report is available by clicking here.