As you all know, the European Independent Living Day – 5th May is just over a week away. This day will be a great opportunity to present our hopes, wishes and demands concerning Independent Living, the provision of personal assistance and the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). So let’s use it to make our voices heard!
At ENIL, we are already excited about the activities that will take place on and around the 5th of May. You can still send us your photos with the “This Time I’m Voting for…” message, we will gather all submissions we get and publish them on our social media and display them at our info stand in front of the European Parliament in Brussels.
This Is How Our Members Are Getting Ready for the 5th of May
Many of our members or allies are going to hold events on and around the 5th of May, so you should definitely check to see if there’s an event taking place in your country, your region or your city.
Here are just a few examples to get you inspired:
- Nëmme Mat Eis from Luxembourg will organize a round-table event on the implementation of the UN CRPD on the 4th of May.
- A new grassroots IL movement (no official name yet) from Hungary is going to hold an event, where they will show some videos and have a discussion afterwards, in order to spread information about personal assistance (PA) on the 5th of May.
- Several local CILs in Serbia will hold events on the importance of political participation and the accessibility of the electoral process, as well as on freedom of movement and the provision of PA.
- Polio Plus from North Macedonia has taken the current presidential elections as an opportunity to raise awareness about and advocate for disability rights and the implementation of Article 29 of the UN CRPD; they have also held trainings with election boards on the municipal level to make sure that voting in the elections will be accessible.
- The Lithuanian Disability Forum will present their social campaign, “More Recognition, Less Confusion” on the 2nd May. Its aim is to reduce the uncertainty and tension that often occurs when non-disabled people interact with disabled people. Also, the Independent Living Association will have an international protest “Happiness to CAN!” on the 4th May in Vilnius.
- In Germany, protest marches and various awareness-raising activities will take place in most major cities, including Berlin and Munich. This year’s motto is “Mission Inclusion – the future starts with you”.
Members from other countries are planning various activities too. If you want to find out more about any specific event, you can take a look at the information on our Facebook page. And of course, If you also have plans for the day, let us know (by contacting Lisa Madl at: email@example.com or by reaching out on our social media channels) and we will be happy to share them!
We wish you the best of luck for any 5th May activities you’re planning!