On 1 April 2021, ENIL and the Association of Women with Disabilities (ENG-KAD) started a new project, which aims to promote the development of personal assistance in Turkey by ensuring that people with disabilities are better informed and better able to advocate tor personal assistance. The project will run for 15 months.
Following the ratification of the CRPD n 2009, Turkey made important steps to align its legislation with the requirements of the Convention. However, disabled people still do not have access to personal assistance. The project aims to raise the awareness of disabled people, professionals, policy and decision makers about personal assistance, and to support disabled people’s advocacy for personal assistance and independent living. In view of these objectives, several activities will be carried out, including:
- Online peer support forum – allowing people to people interact, exchange ideas, share experiences, raise concerns, and find answers.
- Research – to map the existing policies and practices and gain better understanding of personal assistance.
- Webinars and round-table discussions with domestic and international speakers.
- Promotion materials, including videos on personal assistance.
- Model personal assistance policy, drafted with the involvement of disabled people and in consultations with domestic policy-makers.
The project builds on ENIL’s previous work to promote independent living in Turkey within the Independent Living Network Project. It is funded by the European Union.
To learn more about the project, in English and Turkish, watch this short video presentation.
Contact person: Lili Angelova-Mladenova, firstname.lastname@example.org